The Data Blog
To celebrate Cybersecurity Awareness Month, we have five great tips everyone should know to have safer cybersecurity practices and avoid risky malware and potential hackers!
1) Have an anti-virus program; An anti-virus program or software to detect suspicious malware or activity on your device can be very beneficial! Not only does it keep up with the most recent viruses and types of malware so you don't have to, but it will filter out and destroy system threats, sometimes without you even knowing!
2) Don't tell anyone your password; the most secure way to not get hacked is to keep all of your private information, private. Try to use a different password that is alphanumeric with special characters to make it hard to crack and guess as well!
3) Use a VPN! VPNs are both secure and useful; they can change your IPAddress so hackers also can't locate your physical address, and are great at preventing security breaches due to establishing a more secure network connection. Your data will be kept secure and private through the use of a VPN, so we encourage you to use one if possible!
4) Use two-factor authentication! If you're able to, it's much more secure, so even if your password is cracked, make sure they a website or application has to text your phone as well to make sure it's really you. You're not only more secure, but it limits the activity to an application to only those with access to your accounts.
5) Be aware of what you post on the internet! Although it may seem trivial at first, information over time can lead up to a lot of information gathered about you. You should make sure anyone who can see your information is a trusted source, and that any suspicious activity is clearly monitored.